Friday, December 09, 2005

Flikschuh on Kant on Progress

Katrin Flikschuh came to Essex yesterday and spoke about Kant’s comments on moral progress in Gemeinspruch III. Whilst this wasn’t officially part of the tpn project, I though it might be fun to blog this anyway. Katrin has kindly made the paper, entitled "Duty, Nature, Right: Kant's Response to Mendelssohn in Gemeinspruch III", available to all. It is, however, a work in progress, so please don't quote it without her permission.


The seminar was great fun, and the paper really interesting. I’m not going to summarise in any detail, as I’m too lazy. Also, I shall probably say more about the first than the second half of the presentation (as most of the discussion focussed on this). But the idea went something like this...


Kant makes some really puzzling claims in Gemeinspruch III whilst replying to Moses Mendelssohn’s argument that mankind does not/cannot exhibit progress. In particular, Kant employs a teleological argument maintaining that nature “wills” humanity’s moral progress. Katrin’s proposal is to interpret this against the background of Kant’s later political philosophy, in particular the Doctrine of Right. The argument against Mendelssohn is complex, beginning with a reformulation of the issue. One must not ask whether humanity is progressing but whether it is capable of so progressing. As such, one asks a practical rather than a theoretical question. The aim is not a hypothesis that humanity is in fact progressing, but the entitlement to the postulate that it is. This, Kant argues, can be gained via the a priori recognition of our ‘inborn duty to influence posterity in such a way that it will make constant progress’. This, Kant maintains, Mendelssohn must acknowledge as he recognises that individuals may make moral progress, and recognising and acting on this duty is a condition of such progress. But if we recognise that there is such a duty then, since ought implies can, we must be entitled to believe that our actions are not in vain. So we are entitled to believe that humanity is progressing.


But now comes a puzzle. Kant goes on to claim that purely in terms of a natural process, war weariness etc. will lead to (externally understood) moral progress. The reference to duty and reason goes by the board. How can we explain this? It is all the more puzzling given that Kant suggests that this teleological claim is merely an uncertain hypothesis. But hasn’t he explicitly denied that it is a theoretical question?


[Now it is at this point that I start to get confused – so help me out someone].


The solution is that, read in the light of the later political philosophy, we should think of Kant’s claim as involving another postulate. This time is would be an entitlement to believe that providence has arranged nature so as to make human moral progress possible. The thought is that we should interpret nature in terms of our ends. We understand the non-sensible principles of right by analogy with/as interpretations of the sensible laws of nature. Or, at least, this is the direction in which Kant’s later political philosophy is moving.


As I said, the discussion focussed primarily on the first part – the argument against Mendelssohn. The points I recall were the following:


  1. Kant gives an account of teleology in the 3rd Critique, why not use it in understanding his political teleological arguments?

  2. Kant only succeeds in an argument against Mendelssohn if we think that the latter accepts a Kantian account of the duties we have. But might not Mendelssohn reply that our duties are, perhaps, towards the posterity of, say, our family or just ourselves? In which case, he might continue to maintain that individuals can progress but that humanity as a whole cannot. That is, Mendelssohn may have a different idea of (individual) moral progress than Kant.

  3. How does Kant get from an entitlement to believe that mankind can progress to an entitlement to believe that mankind does progress? Isn’t it plausible to think that only the former is licensed by the content of the relevant duty?

  4. These are odd postulates in that they seem to be open to empirical refutation. We are being asked to believe that we have an entitlement to accept something that may go against all the empirical evidence. In this way, they are unlike the postulates that one usually thinks of at work in Kant.


Now Katrin had some characteristically compelling answers to these questions, but I think perhaps it is time for me to stop and let others have their say.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Joel,

Thanks for a great summary of the first half of my paper -- which is, as you say, the one that discussion focused on. I was interested to hear that so many in the audience were unpersuaded by the claim I attribute to Kant that if you believe moral progress to be possibel for an individual agent you must also believe moral progress to be possible for the human race. I think the objections to this were of two different kinds. The first I took to be an 'external' objection -- i.e. the Nietzschean rejection fo the idea of moral progress in general. The second I took to be an 'internal' objection. This is the one I am more interested in. Beatrice was the first to raise it. If I understand her correctly her basic criticism was that endorsing the possibility of individual moral progress does not ential having to endorse the possibility of humanity's moral progress. I think she is probably right -- the one does not entail the other. So I think speaking of an entailment relation is too strong. I nonetheless still think that Kant is right in saying that if you concede the possibility of individual moral pogress you cannot deny the possibility of humanity's progress -- that there is soimething amiss about affirming the former but denying the latter.
I think one reason for this 'amissness' has to do with the kind of progress at issue -- i.e. moral progress. If one takes morality to consist in a certain kind of inter-human relation (as I tkae both Kant and Mendelssohn to believe), it seems strange to assert that an individual could progress morally who takes no interest in how others do. (Of course,this does nto in itself get one to an interest in hwo the human rrace does -- but in so far as it is enlightenement morality that appears to be at stake, I am assuming that Kant and Mendelssohn both share the view of morality as universal in reach). So the first part of the response may be to say that if you think individual moral porgress possible (and actual) then given the nature of the progress at stake -- i.e. moral porgress -- it would be straneg to think of thiese morally progressing individuals as uninterested inthe progress of the human race. But of course on emight have an interest in the latter kind of progress and a fond hope for it and nonetheless conclude that such progress is neither possibel nor actual. I think Kant's response to this is something like this: humanity's moral progress is a function of individual human agency: there is no other way in which the human race could progress morally. Those who concede the possibility of individual moral progress but deny that of humanity in general are making the latter progress impossible though their declaration of its impossibility. In other words, whether or not humanity's moral progress is possible is really a matter for individual members of the human race to decide, given that they are the only ones who can bring such progress about. In that sense Mendelssohn's inconsistency lies in asserting the possibility of individual moral progress whilst denying both that an interest in humanity's progress has to be a consistuent component of individual moral progress and that humanity's moral pogress can only be a function of (many) individuals' moral progress. This is probably still very uncelar and muddled -- but I am not even sure that this 'blog' will succeed, so will leave it at that for the time being.

best,

Katrin

2:32 pm  
Blogger Joel said...

I guess I saw what you call the 'internal' and the 'external' criticisms as more closely related. For, one way in which Nietzsche might be brought in would be in an attempt to justify the contention that individual and social progress are not so closely related as Kant seems to be suggesting. The argument against Mendelsohnn seems to rely on the shared assumption that we have a duty to posterity. For it is only via that thought that we get to the suggestion that one who takes no interest in the progress of humanity cannot, him or herself, be morally progressing. But suppose that we drop that assumption. We might, for example, think of moral demands as entirely self-regarding. On such a view, it seems that accepting the possibility of individual moral progress would be entirely consistent with rejecting the possibility of the moral progress of humanity as a whole.

4:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.